Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Lucky Mustache, or Freezer Paper Stenciling Tutorial


Lately I've been obsessed with 'Babywearing'. I didn't wear Master Luke much beyond the Bjorn because the thing was uncomfortable to wear and I didn't know anything about new fangled (actually Old School!) type wearing. So, with the arrival of Master Bruce, much more learned in the ways of the Mommy, I decided I must try wrapping. You can see MB all wrapped up when we went to visit Santa at our boat club. A 'wrap' is basically a long piece of fabric you wrap around you and baby and tie at the end.
 
Then I found this Facebook Group dedicated to DIY babywearing gear. Making, altering, decorating freaks just like me... but all about kid carriers. After spending a bit of time stealing ideas I decided to make a Ring Sling. Basically it's a shorter piece of fabric with 2 rings at one end that you thread the other end through. Sort of like those 'D' ring belts. You can see MB snuggled up in the first one I made on a recent lazy Sunday morning. See also the pic of ML helping Mom try it out when MB was asleep.
 

Turns out that I prefer the Ring Sling over the Wrap. So what should I do with my wrap? Cut it up and make it into two Ring Slings of course!
While I'm waiting for my rings to arrive in the mail I realized, these aren't blingy enough for me.. they need decoration. So on RS #1 I used some stencils I got on sale at Michaels and added some rockets and stars. It took FOREVER!
 
Then, for some reason I was envisioning mustaches on RS #2. (Probably because a crafty gal in the Group made a carrier cover out of a kids mustache decorated hoodie, and it ROCKED!) I also wanted to incorporate some shamrocks because, well, because I love them!
So, following is my great nap time feat of the day. Freezer paper stencil Lucky Mustache!
 


First I took out some of my trusty plastic coated freezer paper. You can find this in your grocery store in the same spot as plastic wrap and tin foil. I drew out a design that I liked. In this case a giant Shamrock crossed by a giant Mustache. Then I cut out the parts I wanted painted.





Then I ironed it, plastic side down, using a warm iron on the NO steam setting. (yes.. the iron is not actually plugged in yet) Make sure you go over any small parts- corners, thin lines and such, to make sure they adhere to your fabric.



Then I started painting! I used a combo of a sponge tool and a brush. If I had had a bigger sponge I probably would have skipped the brush.


Once I was finished I pulled the paper up and voila! Lucky Mustache!


 The End

 
 
 



 

1 comment: